Sunday, December 13, 2015

The Smoker's Sandbox

The world is sure a strange place... especially if you're a kid.

While we were vacuuming out the car at a gas station the kids got right to entertaining themselves. We told them to stay right by us, which they did. 

But they didn't see any harm in playing in the little "sandbox" they had found. To my horror, I turned around and saw Danny pulling a handful of sandy gravel out of an ashtray. I told him to stop, to which he was surprised.

"But Kylee was playing in it", he protested.

Then I looked over at Kylee, who was a little way off and saw that she was holding two handfuls of the ashtray sand and sprinkling it on the ground.

After they both put it down, I told them that it was dirty so not to touch anything until we could go home and wash our hands. Specifically, not to touch their face or their clothes or each other, and most definitely not to put their hands in their mouths.  Kylee just looked at me with a quizzical look, was silent for a second, and then said:

"Can I touch the wall?" she asked pointing over at the red brick wall next to the vacuums.

"Yes, you can touch the wall." So while we finished vacuuming the car they both stood facing the wall with both hands on it giggling.

*Sigh!*

- Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment